Thursday, February 03, 2005

IPods popular among Microsoft employees

I thought this was funny. Wired magazine reports that iPods are wildly popular among Microsoft employees -- and that as much as 80 percent of the employees who use mp3 players (which is most of them) use iPods.

And Mr. Gates and the administration hate it.
"So popular is the iPod, executives are increasingly sending out memos frowning on its use."
iPods have also taken over our campus here at BYU - I swear everyone got one for Christmas. Last semester, they were rare ... now they are almost as prevalent, it seems, as cell phones, as people walk to class with distinguishable white earbuds poking out of their ears. Our campus newspaper reported yesterday about this phenomenon.

It's really not any surprise. What a cool gadget. Being the audiobook addict that I am, I'm loving my iPod. I don't have time to read, even though I enjoy a good book ... but I do have time to listen to something on my way to school or while exercising. MP3 players are only going to grow in popularity as the competition gets more intense, and prices drop.

The future in technology is to allow people instant access to any media or information on demand, as evidenced by iPods, TIVO, and rss. The iPod is one step in that direction, and eventually I hope to see devices, continuously connected to the Internet that allow instant access to anything audio, video, or text-based. Then you can personalize your own learning, listening, viewing, or reading WHAT you want, WHEN you want, and maximizing your free time for something useful instead of just listening to whatever's on the radio, or viewing whatever's on the TV.

1 comment:

Nathan Lowell said...

I've been on the podcast bandwagon for about three months now and got a cheap MP3 player that supports OGG format audio. In addition to the iPod, iRiver and Creative both make very nice players. The flashbased players have the advantage of "remembering" where they were when the power cut out. There seems to be some problem with that in the diskbased players.

FYI, 256mb is about a day's worth of podcasts, if I listen all the way thru. As ever, your mileage may vary.